Sunday 11 January 2015

Books on what happens next/ the afterlife

Recently I have just read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. The plot is about a man, Harry, who dies and comes back to life remembering his 'past life'.  The book goes through several of his lives before it get to the juicy sub plots. Like the fact there are others like him and he is one of the few that can remember everything from each life. I won't tell you the whole plot- go read it, the book entertained me on a five hour flight.

Then, I'm obviously following a theme, I picked up The Five People You Meet in Heaven written by an international seller (unknown to me) Mitch Albom. Can I start by saying this book is great, just great. I love the way the paragraphs are structure and some of the beautiful wording he used, especially when he describes people's lives as glass. In this book the main character Eddie is a war veteran and now works on a pier theme park. He saves a little girls life and in the process dies and goes to 'heaven'. Here he meets five people and has to go through different memories. I'm currently on number four... I'll let you know how it goes.

Lastly, I wanted to mention a book I read a few years ago, Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. This story depicts a young girl called Liz who was killed in a hit and run. She also goes to a 'heaven' and there everyone gets younger and can talk to animals. This is such a lovely image of the afterlife, especially the end but I won't give any spoilers!

Sorry this was so morbid but lately these books got me thinking, what does happen?
And I'll leave you with that... If you have any afterlife themed books please suggest them.
Sofiee

No comments:

Post a Comment